Wednesday 18 September 2013

Growing Old is the New Staying Young

Growing old having fun
Growing old? Bring it on! 
Last night I was totally inspired by Fabulous Fashionistas, a Channel 4 documentary about a group of six women with the average age of 80, who refuse to blend in after a certain age.

The programme highlighted that ageing is an attitude; there is no need to give up on life, work, love, fashion and excitement regardless of how old you are.

Anything is possible, even if you are officially classed a pensioner.

The least you can do is enjoying a ticket to ride in a flamboyant outfit with your well earned free bus pass!

We don't have to be rich, and health problems will crop up too, but we can all strive to enjoy life and be as unconventional as we want to be.

The programme couldn't have been shown at a better time for me, as I'm slowly approaching my 50th birthday - eek! Only a few months to go!

Deep down I have always known that I will never morph into a little old lady with permed hair wearing beige clothes and becoming invisible.

I've always hated beige and that mousy grey....50 shades of grey??? 

Hell no! 

Give me 1000 shades of purple, red, green and blue with a dash of gothic black!

It's not about looking younger - it's about having fun and expressing personality and vibrancy.

It's about thinking and feeling young, which makes a person naturally attractive (no facelift required!).

And I will embrace my wrinkles and white hair. I won't torture my body with botox and plastic surgery only to live up to the media's ideal of forever-looking-young beauty.

Beauty is present at any age.

"I was writing cookery books for decades, and one day I decided to become a weird artist." Sue Kreitzman, 73

Older women are beautifully captured
 in the images of the Gaian Tarot
© Joanna Powell Colbert
I also know that I will work until I drop dead. And even though I love what I'm doing right now, I can see myself doing something completely different, if I'm lucky and blessed enough to reach my 60s and 70s.

And yes, I will always strive to keep fit and work my body, something I have been doing all my life and will continue until I can no longer move.

"The moment you start letting yourself go is the moment when you are old." Lady Trumpington, 91

The women featured in the programme didn't have a charmed life. They have all suffered bereavement, loosing their beloved husbands, and one even lost her son.

But that didn't stop these ladies embracing life despite their painful experiences.

Yes, ageing is a mindset. We need more great role models like these, showing that life is for living, and we can be fabulous at every stage of our journey on this planet.

Warmest wishes,

Christiane


PS: Have you noticed that in many Tarot and Oracle decks women are depicted as young and pretty, whereas men are allowed to look older? 

Do you own a deck that depicts older women as attractive, strong and graceful, rather than ugly and frail? Please do let me know ;)



Transform your life this year: 

Tarot Readings - Insightful guidance when you need it
Learn Tarot - A magickal, inspirational tool for life
Tarot eBooks - Great value, innovative Tarot study material

Make sure you subscribe to my feed to receive the latest articles straight into your inbox when published.

You can also connect with me on FacebookTwitter and Pinterest.



29 comments:

  1. Very true! May we all keep a lightness of heart and joy till the end of our days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Ana ;) Thank you for stopping by ;)

      Delete
  2. love this! and need to check out this show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so worthwhile watching. Thanks for posting, Amy ;)

      Delete
  3. My last comment seems to have got lost...I'll try again! I always said I wanted to grow old disgracefully and be like one of those old ladies you see around who's a bit eccentric, but looks perfectly turned out. I can't think of anything worse than drowning in a sea of beige anoraks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has come through! Yay! ;) A sea of beige anoraks...what a nightmare lol ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh Christiane! I loved this post! It really spoke to me because I realized just this week (while doing a very deep course of inner work) that there is a part of me that sometimes tries to "blend in" and even though she tries, she hates it!!! Your words about "blending in" hit me like an arrow! Thank you xo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why blend in when you can stand out ;) Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Cindie. Glad my post spoke to you ;) x

      Delete
  5. Stand out, don't blend in. My choice every time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post Christiane! I'm right there with ya! I'll be sparkling and listening to rock and roll in the old folks home while still feeling young! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those old folks homes need a good hippy hippy shake ;)

      Delete
  7. Rockin! not rocking chair! love it.. so true. it doesn't have to be that way anymore. if ever it had! maybe we'll have to wear beige to stand out as we all age :) Love the photo of the cool chick with the guitar :) Thanks Christiane, you made me smile, nod and even look forward to the next decade of being.. hope your 50th year is your best one yet, full of dreams come true and all you'd wish for x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! I turned 50 in January and it has probably been the most difficult milestone for me thus far! I have always been physically active but for some reason I started to notice this year a change in my workout habits and an inability to go at the same momentum as in years past. My message from the Universe was to send love to myself at this stage in my life and to the changes in myself and my body! I am all with you that I refuse to allow a particular mindset to dictate to me how I "should" look and behave!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turning 50 can be quite a daunting milestone, half a century old! That makes it sound even worse LOL ;) So I'm not quite sure how I will feel when the day comes...;) And yes, I've noticed my knee playing up when cycling. I know that one day I'll need that knee replacement...eek! But as long as I can keep dancing, all is well ;)
      Thank you for posting, Joy ;)

      Delete
  9. Hi Christiane,
    Love the Visual! why let a number dictate how you feel? It is all about attitude. be your vibrant self!
    Best wishes Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. “Why blend in when you can stand out”. That will be my new motto. I am some years over 50 now. Physically things become somewhat rustier. I have a neck hernia that hinders me a lot. But now I realize that it is more important how much flexibility you have on the inside. A great post. Thank you very much and I wish you a fabulous birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot to mention that Daughters of the Moon Tarot has depictions of real women: young. old slender and full etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! The Daughters of the Moon Tarot looks like an interesting deck. Thanks for pointing it out to me ;)

      Delete
  12. I love this post! I have an older friend (in her late 60's) much like the woman on the photo here... loads of SPUNK!
    Also, I am in the process of creating my own Goddess oracle deck... will def. include a fantastic older Goddess! Thanks for the idea!

    Love & light,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! Goddesses come in all shapes, sizes and ages ;) I'm sure your oracle deck will be amazing...can't wait to see some images, Claudia ;)

      Delete
  13. I agree with you on this, and I hope you have a fun and bright old age!
    I've been thinking about aging when I started noticing more and more gray hairs. I'm 28 next week but women in my family turn gray early. People started noticing and teasing me about the hair, but I refuse to dye my hair to my natural color to hide them. I'd rather skip this intermediate phase and just go white and dye it some crazy color like purple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nela! I love wacky hair colours like purple, pink, and bright red. These colours (like Henna) also tend to wash out after a while, so you're not stuck with them for too long, if you get bored of them.
      I've never opted for traditional colour treatment, because of the chemicals, the ongoing costs of topping up and the high maintenance.
      Embrace your silver hair, Nela. It seems to become quite a fashion statement nowadays:

      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=women+with+white+hair+images&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XItCUsTZHuWc0AWju4D4DA&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1088&bih=685&dpr=1

      Lots of younger women going grey nowadays, and rather than just getting depressed over it, turn it into something fun and striking. some of the images in that link prove it ;)

      Delete
  14. As others have said, fabulous post, Christiane! We can't prevent old age from affecting us, but we don't have to let it rule us. And even less so the expectations of society ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Chloe. Women still have to overcome the stigma of growing old, but by becoming more confident and expressive we can do it ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...